We provide a wide range of industrial hygiene and safety consulting services.
Our credentialed team of industrial hygienists and a certified safety professional work as unbiased experts in the determination of exposures to chemicals and physical agents. The team is experienced in analysis and health and safety promotion including the analysis of toxic substances, noise and radiation. The firm’s certified safety professional has worked for over 23 years in the promotion of safety programs in a variety of industry, governmental, and energy during design and construction projects. This has included multi-national firms needing assurance of health and safety from concept to project completion, daily health and safety audit and assurance during the construction and commissioning of projects, and development of company-wide health and safety initiatives. Typically, programs developed by our team exceed EPA and OSHA standards.
Industrial Hygiene and Safety services that we provide include:
- Exposure monitoring and development of worker protection procedures and personal protective equipment. Including, confidential site assessments and exposure evaluations within commercial, educational private and public facilities based on exposure monitoring, research, and regulatory review.
- Sampling including, air sampling for mold, asbestos and other materials, dust, swab and wipe sampling, and bulk material sampling. We develop sampling protocols and conduct sampling programs for single chemicals or mixtures of chemicals such as resulted from the collapse of the World Trade Center Towers.
- Hazard Assessment: We inspect facilities to locate target materials, such as asbestos and lead-based paint, collect bulk material samples, and perform physical damage and exposure hazard assessments for asbestos mold, lead-based paint, single toxic materials, or mixtures of chemicals.
- Risk Assessment: Where needed, to assess the health consequences of exposures, or potential exposures, we may perform risk assessments using risk models from governmental agencies or other sources. In situations where there are competing risk models, we typically perform sensitivity analysis to determine if there are meaningful differences in projected outcomes.
- Remediation: We develop remediation plans, specifications and other contract documents for remediation of asbestos, mold, lead-based paint, PCBs, mercury, and toxic materials.
- Negative Pressure Enclosures: Remediation of materials that easily become airborne, such as asbestos, require the design of an enclosure inside which the air pressure is maintained at a negative pressure relative to surrounding areas. In low-rise buildings, this can usually be accomplished by a simple rule of thumb calculation. In more complex situations, such as high-rise buildings that have shafts near operating elevators or near operating equipment such as boilers, we will design negative pressure enclosures through a collaboration between our industrial hygiene and mechanical engineering staff.
- Exposure Assessments: Based upon exposure sampling, we make exposure assessments to determine requirements for engineering controls and personal protective equipment. In situations such as development of work procedures for asbestos operations and maintenance procedures, we develop control procedures until they control release of dust well enough that we are able to make a negative exposure assessment for workers. Such studies also include exposure assessments for the environment, and bystanders. Data from exposure assessments may be used to support the development of risk assessments for the measured exposures.
- Remediation Project Monitoring: We provide an on-site project representative, and contract administration of remediation projects for asbestos and toxic materials, including on-site microscopy to monitor control procedures, and post-remediation clearance sampling.
- Health and Safety Audits: We perform health and safety audits of facilities and provide recommendations to improve incident rates or achieve voluntary certifications such as ISO 14000 and OSHA’s VPP. As part of this auditing program, we provide on-site training on topics ranging from industrial hygiene to site safety.
- Process Safety Management: Our industrial hygiene staff collaborates with our engineering staff to
conduct a Process Hazard Analysis for OSHA’s Process Safety Management Program and EPA’s Risk Management Program.
- OSHA Compliance Programs: We work with facility managers to set up OSHA compliance programs, including respiratory protection programs, and provide initial and refresher training for workers.
- Health and Safety Programs: We develop health and safety programs and provide training for construction sites, industrial facilities, and brownfield sites.
Here are some examples of past projects that illustrate our approach.
- Asbestos Exposure in Department Store Litigation
- Retrospective Exposure Studies
- NYS Attorney General Asks for Help to Resolve College Dorm Contamination Issue
- IAQ Complaints Resolved
- Odor Investigation
- Environmental Evaluation of Historic Buildings
- Evaluation of Mold Amplification and Moisture Dynamics in University Dormitory